Friday, December 4, 2009

Sinterklaas

Does this look like Santa Claus? Well, its not! I just met Sinterklaas--and he from Holland! This is a tradition with Chase's family because his grandfather is from Holland. We gathered at Chase's uncle's house, and ate some yummy food. We then went around the fireplace, and Uncle Ray told the story of Sinterklaas. He's pretty much like Santa...but he has a helper with him...Black Pete...who works as a chimney sweep(er) (he cleaned the chimneys...) and Sinterklaas asked him to help him pass out candy and toys. Then the doorbell rang! The children ran, and there was Sinterklaas with Black Pete and a bag of toys! He then sat down, and pulled out gifts from his bag, and on the presents was a poem, here is the poem for Carter:

He scoots and toots, sleeps and eats
Coos and poos, crawls and cries
He burps and slurps, giggles and wiggles.
Loves and laughs, plays and smiles.
It surely must sound like a rough lot he's got,
But it's all in a day's work for this little tot. (written proudly by us)

So...my first experience with SinterKlaas was quite grand! The last picture is priceless. I just love cute sleeping pictures!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Travis and Allie said...

That looks like such a fun tradition! Although I will have to say that the helper scared me a little bit......at first I thought he was there to scare all the children to be good!

Sarah and Trent said...

I love it! My Dad served his mission in Holland and we have always heard the story of Sinterklaas..but never had the privelege of meeting him :)

Brianna Tuckett said...

That is way cool! I love learning something new and now I know about Sinterklass!! Cool! I love the pics! Carter is getting so big! How old is her now? Looks like a lot of fun!!! :)