Monday, June 21, 2010

Nursery Time!!

It's the most wonderful time of the year
With my baby turning 18 months
And everyone telling you "Be of good cheer"
It's the most wonderful time of the year
It's the hap-happiest season of all
With those great nursery leaders and new friends to be made
There'll be toys to be played with, and songs to sing,
It's the hap- happiest season of all

(I am not really good at coming up with a re-write of this song to tell my story...but I hope you get the drift)

I have been counting down the Sundays for this moment when my little man goes to Nursery! The thoughts of actually sitting in all the meetings and LISTENING to the lessons and FEELING the spirit and LEARNING something without always preoccupying my little one with entertainment, or with animals crackers during gospel doctrine and relief society---actually made me smile. Then that glorious day came, and I was telling him at breakfast what the exciting day held for him. When I dropped him off I met his very nice teachers, and Carter began to play with the puzzles. "He is going to do just fine," said his teacher. I smiled. And Chase and I left the room, and closed the door behind us. Then it hit me like a bug smacked into the windshield...and all I wanted to do was cry. I just put my little baby boy into nursery! Those were the two longest hours of my life!!! After gospel doctrine, I peaked in the window, and saw him in the little chair eating his crackers! I made myself go to relief society, and I sit down. I had no one to entertain and to feed crackers to. My baby is growing up! It was a great lesson..I just didn't know what to do with my hands!!! Once class was over I was the first parent to pick up my boy. I found him on the teacher's lap, sucking his thumb with tears in his eyes. I said, "hi!" and he got down and started to cry a bit and ran into my arms and put his head on my shoulder! (he hardly ever does that!) My heart just melted. The teacher said that he would cry every time someone would leave the room, and he did well during class time and playing with the toys. So, I didn't know that this was going to be so hard on me!! I love my baby, and I just CAN'T BELIEVE how fast he is growing up!! We will both get through this little buddy!

4 comments:

Sarah and David said...

Oh my goodness! What a sweet post! I loved it! Wow, for his first time it sounds like he did pretty well. Boy does time fly?!!

Unknown said...

Ok, Meag! You made me want to cry! Carter is so lucky to have a Mommy who loves him so much and takes such good care of him! I love you and your family and I can't wait to have Carter come stay with us next week!

Lisa Love said...

That was so creative and sweet!! Carter is a lucky guy. Yay for nursery! BTW - I love the music on your blog.

Duckie said...

I'm right there with you. Emilee gets to go to nursery in two weeks. I have mixed feelings about it. As it is, when she sits with other families during Sacrament meeting, I find myself turning to watch her and check on her about every 10 seconds. We need a "mothers-of-new-nursery-kids" support group!